Full Agenda and supporting documents: https://pub-sdgcounties.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=125
Re-watch the meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6SsYDZW69E
SDG Counties Council received delegations from Loren Christie Solutions, the River Institute, Eastern Ontario Agri-Food Network, and Horizon Educational Consulting, and
Delegation – Jail Feasibility Study – Loren Christie, Managing Director, Loren Christie Solutions
- Loren Christie Solutions posed to Council how they would like to engage in a conversation about the ideal solution for the Jail and which stakeholders should be consulted.
- Council decided to have a special meeting so all Councillors could collaborate to share ideas and opinions on this topic.
Delegation – River Institute – Dr. Jeff Ridal, Executive Director, Dr. Leigh McGaughey, Research Scientist, Lee Theodore, Project Coordinator Future Climate Leaders
- Council received an update from the River Institute on their current projects and upcoming projects.
- To see the complete list of projects, please see the presentation slides here. https://pub-sdgcounties.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=103
- The River Institute is requesting $10,000 from the Counties to continue their work on research, education, and future climate leadership.
Delegation – Eastern Ontario Agri-Food Network – Tom Manley, Executive Director
- The EOAN has requested $25,000 from the Counties to continue their work in the marketing of local, small-scale agriculture. These efforts include the Local Food Map, Cornwall Waterfront Farmer’s Market, Local Food Discovery booklet, and more.
Delegation – Education Review Report – Monika Ferenczy, Horizon Educational Consulting
- Horizon gave a presentation on solutions for keeping rural schools open.
- The study focused on the equity of programming and opportunity for students in small populations have been ignored. Inclusive education should focus on equity over equality. Ti also revealed some common felt obstacles for both urban and rural schools.
- Please refer to the video for the presentation on the draft report.
Approval of the August Intake of Applications for the Regional Incentive Program
- Council approved nine RIP applications for a total of $173,181.80. To see which nine applications were approved, please see the report here. https://pub-sdgcounties.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=90
Design of East Castor River Bridge
- Council approved to accept the proposal from Jacobs to complete the design of the East Castor River Bridge Rehabilitation for $45,590 (plus HST).
Design of Hoople Creek Bridge
- Council approved the proposal from J.L. Richards & Associates Limited to complete the design of the Hoople Creek Bridge Rehabilitation for $42,450.25.
SDG Growth Management Strategy Contract
- Council awarded the SDG Growth Management Strategy Contract to Watson and Associates Economists Limited for $95,000 (plus HST).
Plow and Spreader Purchase
- Council approved the purchase of a diesel cab & chassis from Cornwall Freightliner for $134,980.00 (plus HST). Council also accepted the purchase of associated plow equipment for $149,920.00 (plus HST).
Council approved the following By-laws:
- Procedure By-Law Updates
- LiDAR Agreement
- Encroachment Agreement – Matilda CON 1 Lot 4
- Lands Acquired
- Encroachment Agreement at 11669 County Road 18
Council approved the following under Consent:
- Monthly Activity Summaries
- Monthly Financial Summary
- SDG Library Branch Reports
- Resolution re: Underfunding Eyecare – Municipality of South Dundas
Economic Development and Tourism – Activities Report
- Econominc Development gave a report on the initiatives the department undertook since March. Some of the activities include: business retention and expansion, conferences, training and stakeholder engagement, community projects, Regional Incentive Program, SDG Tourism Discover Guide, SDG Tourism Videos, and more.
- To see the full presentation, click here. https://pub-sdgcounties.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=120
2021 Transportation Projects Update
- Several Transportation projects have been in progress or completed, including the Boundary Bridge, McFee Bridge, paving of County Rd 18, the Warden’s House renovation, and more.
- To see the full list of projects, click here. https://pub-sdgcounties.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=118
SDG Forest Annual Report
- Some of the completed projects include: completion of the annual audit, collaborations with Trans-Northern Pipeline and Carleton University, public trail upkeep and awareness, and more.
- To see the full report, click here. https://pub-sdgcounties.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=108
Election of Warden, 2022
- Council approved a motion to support that the sitting Warden does not cast a vote during the elections of a Warden in order to prevent a tie vote as a suggested best practice, but not binding.
- Councillor Williams and Councillor McGillis were nominated for Warden for 2022.
- By vote, Councillor Williams was elected as the new Warden for 2022.
Council moved into a closed session.
The next regular meeting will be Monday, November 15, 2021.