Notes published by Grand Chief Abram Benedict.
• Representatives from the Aboriginal Rights and Research Office (ARRO) provided Council with an overview of research being conducted on the era of Indian Residential Schools in Akwesasne.
• A presentation was provided on a proposed project whereby Rogers Telecommunications would place a cell phone tower in Tsi Snaihne to increase access to reliable cell phone service. A presentation will be done at next week’s General Meeting.
• Council discussed the current decision that no fishing permits will be issued and agreed to put out additional reminders to the surrounding public.
• A briefing was provided on the ongoing efforts to open the Akwesasne Healing Center and challenges being faced with permit issues for the facility.
• Council set the General Meeting agenda for September 23, 2021 at 6 PM being hosted on the Zoom platform.
• A briefing was provided on a request from the Friends of Hoople Creek requesting Council support the preservation of the creek and provide notice to users. Council will not participate or support the request.
• MCR’s passed: Approval of internal rent reduction for Akwesasne lessees for a 5-year period; Approval of issuance of Cannabis Retail License; Approval of issuance of Cannabis Retail License; Approval of (4) Council Meeting minutes.