Full Agenda and supporting documents: https://pub-cornwall.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=4834
Re-watch the meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhbUV-nEbA
City Council received a presentation from Via Rail, approved the Fire Station design, and discussed the proposed plan for the possible Guindon Park Urban Campground.
Presentation – Via Rail Update
- In April 2020, ridership had dropped by 95%, which led to employee layoffs. The 2020 Annual Report can be found here: https://media.viarail.ca/sites/default/files/publications/Annual_report_2020_EN.pdf
- High-Frequency Rail (HFR) Project aims to gain more control over the rail to increase the accuracy of arrival/departure times and increase on-time performance. HFR project will allow VIA Rail to increase their ownership of the rails they operate on from 3% to 100%.The HFR project will also dedicate Drummondville and Kingston as major stations or regional hubs permitting trains to station overnight and allow for earlier departure times.
- There is a maintenance program in place to continue to improve the Cornwall Station.
Presentation – Architectural Design of New Fire Station by J.L. Richards
- Improved public presence and access to create a welcoming presence, a net-zero focus on energy, and low building operating costs.
- The design will allow for training facilities, reception and visitor areas, and gender-neutral dorms.
- The next steps will be to research funding opportunities to cover capital and optional design costs. The estimated cost for the project is $9,974,470. This price does not include a Training Centre.
Architectural Design of New Fire Station
- Council approved in principle the architectural design of the new Fire Station.
- Councilors Towndale, Hollingsworth, and Bergeron raised concerns that the proposed design and costs do not include a Training Centre, which was the initial intent when Council approved to tender for a design.
- After some discussion over timing, location, and budgeting, Council voted in favour of authorizing the Administration and JLR to prepare and issue an RFP for the new Fire Station construction.
Council approved the following under the Consent Items:
- Proclamation – Intergenerational Day
- Proclamation – Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Awareness Month
- Proclamation – National Indigenous History Month
- Proclamation – Shriners International Awareness Day
- Proclamation – Seniors’ Month
- Proclamation – ALS Awareness Month
- Proclamation – Pride Month
- Ontario Regulation 284/09 – Budget Matter Expenses
Guindon Park Urban Campground
- At a previous meeting, Council requested Administration to assemble a plan and estimated costs to the possibility of creating a Campground at Guindon Park.
- The proposed plan would cost $5,025,375.00 to improve current buildings and add more utilities/services and site improvements.
- Council approved to submit the report to the Waterfront Working Group for review and recommendations.
J.C. Godard Development – Prime Square
- Council approved a site-specific Tax Increment Grant for 20 years at 90% for the residential development of 44 rental units at 1 Second Street East proposed by Mr. Godard.
- A By-law will be presented to Council at the next regular meeting of Council for approval.
- Construction is expected to start this summer.
Tax Write-offs / Adjustments
- Council approved to the tax write-offs and adjustments as submitted by the Assessment Review Board. The total tax refunds amount to $564,283.58.
Site-Specific CIP Program Incentive for Vacant Sites and Residential Developments
- Council approved a site-specific program within the City’s Community Improvement Plan to support housing projects and prepare a by-law to be presented to Council at the next regular meeting.
- Some of the sites identified include vacant properties in the Downtown BIA and Le Village.
Council approved the following By-Laws:
- By-law 2021-051 Appointment of Members of Council (Audit Committee)
- By-law 2021-052 Subdivision Agreement for Parkwood Estates, Phase 4A, with Cartwave Realty Limited
- By-law 2021-053 Temporary Closure of City Streets – Capital Projects
- By-law 2021-054 Renaissance Housing Rehabilitation Program 129-131 McConnell Avenue
- By-law 2021-055 Amalgamation of Cornwall and Area Housing Corporation
- By-law 2021-056 Appointment of Community Emergency Management Coordinator and an Alternate Community Emergency Management Coordinator
- By-law 2021-057 2021 Tax Capping Decrease Limits
- By-law 2021-058 Tax Capping Options and Parameters for Properties in the Multi-Residential, Commercial and Industrial Property Classes
- By-law 2021-059 Tax Ratios for the Year 2021
- By-law 2021-060 2021 Tax Rates and to Levy Taxes for the Year 2021
- By-law 2021-061 GSDL – Complete Purchasing Services agreement
The next regular meeting will be held on Monday, June 14, 2021.
Council received the following Unfinished Business Listing for May 25, 2021:
|J.C. Godard Development – Prime Square (Corner of Second and Pitt Streets Property) – February 22, 2021||CAO||May 25, 2021|
|Urban Campground in Guindon Park – November 9, 2020||Planning, Development and Recreation||May 25, 2021|
|Rainbow Crosswalk in Celebration of Pride Week – May 10, 2021||Planning, Development and Recreation, Infrastructure and Municipal Works – June 14, 2021||May 25, 2021|
|Beach Volleyball Courts in Lamoureux Park – May 10, 2021||Planning, Development and Recreation||June 14, 2021|
|Petition for Crosswalk on Second Street West Riverdale Terrace- February 24, 2020- January 22, 2021||Infrastructure and Municipal Work||June 28, 2021|
|Urban Agriculture and Outdoor Gardening – COVID-19 – May 11, 2020 – June 22, 2020 – April 26, 2021||Planning, Development and Recreation||Zoning By-law|
|Residential Rental Licensing Public Consultation Results – November 13, 2018 – June 8, 2020 – October 13, 2020 – April 26, 2021||Fire Services, Social Services and Planning, Development and Recreation||June 28, 2021|
|Electoral System Review – Public Consultation – November 25, 2019 – January 13, 2020 – September 28, 2020||Town Hall||TBD|
|Creation of Remote Worker Attraction Strategy January 10, 2020||Working Group||TBD|
|Newspaper Digitization Project – November 9, 2020||CAO||TBD|
|Parking During Pandemic and Parking Program Working Group Recommendations – May 11, 2020 – June 8, 2020 – September 13, 2020 – January 11, 2020 – January 25, 2021||Parking Program Working Group||TBD|
|Actionable Items from Environment and Climate Change Committee – October 26, 2020||Infrastructure and Municipal Works||TBD|
|Domtar Properties – February 22, 2021||CAO||TBD|
|CIL Property – February 22, 2021||CAO||TBD|
|Social Media Policy – March 22, 2021||Council Working Group||TBD|
|Remediation of Gas Stations Upon Closing – April 12, 2021||Infrastructure and Municipal Works and Planning, Development and Recreation||TBD|
|Grading By-law – April 26, 2021||Planning, Development and Recreation||TBD|
|Use of Surveillance Cameras on Private Property – May 10m 2021||Planning, Development and Recreation||TBD|